Tuesday, June 20, 2023

MeggaYarnz in 2023 An Emu Stole my Beanie

Traveller's Tales is the 2023 theme for Beaniefest, so I chose an old, long-tailed, emu-beanie-reject, to be my large canvas for crocheting my long-tale of a traveller's story. A reject? Why was it a reject, you may ask. Well, it was my third attempt, many years ago, to create an Emu Beanie, with a neck that stood tall. and didn't lean and sag. It is now incased inside the neck of number 4 (pictured above), which received the addition of a scarf one year, as the soft beanie part, did make a rather cosy snood-like hood, so a wrap around scarf seemed like the way to go. That is how this Emu came to have a Long Tail.
When I was in my early teens, my mum took us off one holiday, on one of her car-adventure-camping-journeys, this one up into northern Victoria. It was there, gazing dreamily out of a back seat window one day, that I saw a huge mob of Emus, a hundred or more! all racing madly across a massive paddock, some running sideways thru the fencing, along the long-paddock, and some across the road infront of our car, a Kingswood by then, the VW Bug having been written off by our house-sitters when we lived in Singapore for 6 months. You don't see Emus in that number these days, so felt it meaningful to felt that story, onto the hat band of a found-object-beanie, I attached inside, to insure such a weighty, beaning might need, to be worn comfortably, without tending to slide off one's head. . . (Modelled by Yuto Nomura)
Did an Emu really steal my Beanie? Well nearly: my friends living down beside Mt Elephanat, near Elephants Pass, ,in north-eastern Tasmania, had two pet emus. When we stayed there, camped in my little yellow camper-van, these two emus would race across the paddy-melon-cropped grass, to check out the visitors, when they were let out of their night time yard. They'd wake us up Uuuup Uuuuping deep bass sounds as they swayed around the van. When we opened up and began spreading out cushions on the mat outside for breakfast, they'd weave their necks around the open doors, trying to investigate our intriguing items on our dash, sparkly things and found wood and feathers etc. They plucked every scrap of sparkly turquoise fabric, from a cushion with colourful shapes sewn on. As we sat eating breakfast, my beanie was easy pluckings for an emu, but I soon got it back. Later on that day, I learnt how to fend off an emu getting too close and domnineering, I raised my hand, bent my wrist, formed an emu beak and low and behold, he stepped back and walked more sedatley beside me. #beanies #alicespringsbeaniefest #alicespringsbeaniefestival #AliceSpringsBeanieFestival #emubeanies #emus #lifeontheroad # #artnomadix #artnomadixmeggayarnz #meganjack #megganjack

No comments: